Web Part Configuration Guide?

Jun 24, 2008 at 9:09 PM
I need more instructions on configuring the ESP Web Parts. I've installed the FAST ESP web parts according to the ESP Web Parts Installation Guide. And I followed the instructions in the ESP Web Parts User Guide to set up a default QR server and Search Site. I can connect to my FAST index and get query results, but need to know how to configure each web part (connections, document type icons, navigators, groups, etc.).
Developer
Jun 25, 2008 at 11:00 AM
Edited Jun 25, 2008 at 1:43 PM
Unfortunately there is no configuration guide available at this point. That should be uploaded at some point but I don't know any date for that yet.
However I can give you some short info about some basic configurations.

1. Connections
  The web Parts are connected to each other through something called "Search Group".
  It is possible to have up to 5 different search groups on a page,
  Each ESP Search related Web Part has a property "Search Group ID" which can be configured in "Advanced Search configuration" -> "Search Group ID" in the web part configuration

All Web Parts with the same group id communicate together and no additional configuration for communication is needed.
  By default "Search Group 0" is used when adding a web part to a page.
  NOTE: Each Search Group has to have exactly one of "ESP Result List" or "ESP Search Config" Web Part which defines the core search properties like ESP connection and search view used.

2. Navigator(s)
  There are two ways to configure navigators.
  There is one Web Part called Navigators. This Web Part shows all navigators returned for a search and only a few properties are configurable. (like number of items per group)
  The other web part is called Navigator. This Web Part can be used to configure a single navigator (including scope navigators) and has many configuration properties available to
  have a better control over the output.

3. Icon Mapping          
  There is a file called ImageToMimeMapping.xml ( http://www.codeplex.com/espwebparts/SourceControl/FileView.aspx?itemId=300981&changeSetId=20458 ) file embedded in one of the compiled DLL's which is used to map from mime type to image in the default Result.
  One can place this file into the Site Web application "C:\Inetpub\wwwroot\wss\VirtualDirectories\<PORT>\bin" directory and change it to your needs.
     (Entries defined in there will overwrite the entries in the embedded file)
  The changes will be taken into acount a short time after the file changes. No restart of anything is needed.

NOTE (BUG): The embadded xml file has actually wrong mime types definitions for everything except text and html.
  This is fixed in the source code (link above).
  So if you take the latest ImageToMimeMapping.xml and place it into the web application bin directory many more images correctly defined by default.

As xslt is used for rendering the output for all web parts one could also change the xslt on the ESP Search Result Web Part to render different icons.

4. Styling
  All Web Parts use xslt for rendering the result output.
  If one wants to change the output of any of the web parts the xslt can be changed acordingly.
  To dump the xml structure used for xsl transformation for a particular web part the following xslt can be used:
  <xsl:stylesheet version="1.0" xmlns:xsl="http://www.w3.org/1999/XSL/Transform">
    <xsl:output method="xml" version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8" indent="yes"/>
    <xsl:template match="/">
      <xmp><xsl:copy-of select="*"/></xmp>
    </xsl:template>
  </xsl:stylesheet>  

Let me know if you have some more questions or things are unclear and I try to answer them :-)