Unable to connect to the remote server

Developer
Jun 26, 2008 at 6:04 AM
I have installed the web parts successfully, however I do have some issues configuring the web parts to run a basic search and display the results. I placed a Search Textbox and a Result List on a new page and changed the connection string of the Result List to the correct Query Server. However, I couldn't find a way to define any connections to and from either the Search Box or the Result List. So I'm not sure how the web parts are linked. Anyway, once I do a search I get the error "Unable to connect to the remote server". Had anyone got this before?
Developer
Jun 26, 2008 at 7:01 AM
The default connection to the esp search can be configured in a share point site collection level in "Site Settings\Modify All Site Settings\Site Collection Administration\ESP Connection"
In this config screen you can enter your QRServer connection(s). Example: mysearchserverhost:15100
Once this is done it will be used as default if you add new web parts.

However, those defaults can be overwritten in the Search List Web Parts.
If you select "Modify Shared Web Part" (in the Edit Mode of the page) on the Result List Web Part you should see some custom properties of this web part.
There the first property is "ESP Connection String" where you can either select to use the default connection configuration or overwrite the default setting by selecting the select box on the 2nd text box and enter the connection string to the ESP QRServer into the box.
After changing the qrserver connection, apply the settings. If the connection can is correct and can be established the additional properties like view and sorting possibilities are populated and can be changed to fit your needs.

Other information about search groups, connections and some more you might find useful is described here: http://www.codeplex.com/espwebparts/Thread/View.aspx?ThreadId=30208

Developer
Jun 26, 2008 at 8:34 AM
Thanks... actually I did all this before and I'm certain that I have set the connection settings correctly. Checked the query server and it is up as well. I also followed the steps in http://www.codeplex.com/espwebparts/Thread/View.aspx?ThreadId=30208. One thing I couldnt find was the search group option in the Search Textbox (it was not there at "Advanced Search configuration" -> "Search Group ID"). Also, the web part connection options (on both the web parts) were disabled. How does the Search TextBox know where to pass the search text when no connection or search group is specified?
Developer
Jun 26, 2008 at 3:11 PM
You don't need any manual connection between the web parts. The connection is done using the search group id, were only the web parts rendering parts of the results(navigators, breadcrumb, paging and so on) need the search group id.
The search box does NOT have a search group id as it is always setting the url parameter "k" with the entered search string. (Done like this to be consistent with the MS search. You can actually use the MS default search box)
The search group 0 is ALWAYS using the k parameter as search query input. If the Search List or Search Config web part is configured to use another search group then 0 you can configure another url parameter which shall be used for searching. But that would mean that you have to have some web part which actually sets this parameter. :-)

But could you connect to the qrserver now?
Note: Make sure you don't use any protocol or / at the end of the "server:port"

If it's not working. what do you get when you try to telnet to the qrserver port?
Example (in a command window):   telnet  host port
Developer
Jun 27, 2008 at 8:01 AM
Thanks. This makes it clear as to how things are tied up. However, I still do get the same error. Could it be because I have both the controls on the same page? should the Result List be on a seperate page? FYI, I am able to successfully telnet to the qr server and it does not give me any errors. So apart from placing the web parts (Result List and Search Box) on the page and setting the right connection settings in the Result List, I'm not suppose to do anything else right? I'm wondering what i'm doing wrong here...
Developer
Jun 27, 2008 at 9:31 AM

It does not matter which controls/web parts you have on the page.
one really has nothing else to do then placing the search result list and a search box onto the page and configure the connection to the qrserver for an initial search over all collections.

If the connection string is correct and the sharepoint server has access to this host:port configuration then I cannot see why the webparts cannot fetch results.

Might be a stupid question but the telnet to the qrserver, did you do that from the server where sharepoint is installed?
Because I cannot see any other reason as that the connection string is wrong or there is a connection/firewall issue.

Developer
Jun 27, 2008 at 11:49 AM
No, I telnet from a different machine. I guess the last option is to check on another sharepoint server. Will deploy to another server and try from the begining.

Thanks.
Jul 21, 2008 at 1:26 PM
Was there a solution found to this problem?

After installing ESP Web Parts and adding an ESP Search Box and an ESP Result List, I add a QR server connection. The connection seems to work as I am able to select between the different search views in the Fast installation. However, when I try to search I get:

The remote server returned an error: (404) Not Found

Searching directly through a browser on the QR server (15100) works fine.

Developer
Aug 1, 2008 at 7:20 AM
Pet, the error you describe here seems to be an other one then the one the user jayanmd describes.
In your case it seems that we can connect to the qrserver but because of some reason the qrserver cannot find the requested search page.
You should get an error logged in the qrserver logs.
Can you see this 404 entries there?
And if yes, could you past one line here (Remove the server name.. :-)

The logs are in your fast installation %FASTSEARCH%\val\log\qrserverlogs\

Just to clarify. Are you using ESP 5?