Web Part Error Logging

Jul 2, 2008 at 2:59 PM
Hi,

I started getting the below error when i select the Fast Search Template from the Enterprise tab while site creation.. same applies if i create a blank site & add search result or search config webPart :
Failed to instantiate factory Com.FastSearch.Esp.Search.Http.HttpSearchFactory. Exception was: Exception has been thrown by the target of an invocation.

i did install & uninstall the webpart.. but nothing changed.. nothing in the eventVwr also
is there some place where we log some detail on this error.. the above error is just a reflection error..

Last evening this was working.. donno wht could go wrong... any pointer ?
Developer
Jul 3, 2008 at 8:37 AM
Tried to reconstruct this error but was not able to yet :-(
Because of some reason the instantiation of the HttpSearchFactory throws an error.
This mostly happens if the qrserver connection string is invalid.
Can you check if the qrserver connection string is valid? This is not enforced by the UI yet but it will fail if it is wrong.
Will try to investigate a little more on this.

Jul 16, 2008 at 7:02 PM

Hi,

Sorry for the late response.. i was able to figure out where the issue was.

You are correct that this error mostly happens if the QRServer string is invalid.

how did it got invalid is what i was able to figure out. On the webpart(ESPConnectionConfig/ESPConnectionConfig.aspx), where we provide the QRServer, there is a description on it where it eludes that you can provide multiple QRServers using the notation QRServer:PortNo;QRServer:PortNo . However, if you try doing that.. the string gets saved & when you got the search page.. the above error is thrown..

and the problem persists even if we uninstall & re-install the WebParts on the share point server.. so it looks like that the uninstall is not doing a clean up of the Connection string which is stored(probably in the sharepoing DB)... I am not sure if i can find out where it is stored in the Sharepoint DB. Is there a way to figure that out & update/Delete it in the the DB directly ?

I believe this is a Bug, but not sure... either the description on the config.aspx file should change & should not allow entering multiple QRServers.. or if it allows then probably the web parts should be able to parse & read the connection string appropriately.
Also, on Uninstall the DB should be cleaned up....

Let me know if you need more info on this!

manfredberry wrote:
Tried to reconstruct this error but was not able to yet :-(
Because of some reason the instantiation of the HttpSearchFactory throws an error.
This mostly happens if the qrserver connection string is invalid.
Can you check if the qrserver connection string is valid? This is not enforced by the UI yet but it will fail if it is wrong.
Will try to investigate a little more on this.

Developer
Jul 17, 2008 at 6:08 AM
Hi
Thanks for that detailed error report.
After your first ticket I was looking into this issue a little more and actually made a ticket for it:
http://www.codeplex.com/espwebparts/WorkItem/View.aspx?WorkItemId=5482
But I unfortunately forgot to update this thread :-( sorry about that.

There was an error the way the qrserver string was retrieved once it was wrong.
That is now fixed in the source code. (See ticket above)

About the multiple qrserver:
I have not tested this myself as I don't have an installation with multiple qrservers installed but as we are using the official ESP .NET Search API I assume this should be working.
I will try to do that asap.

About the uninatall:
It is correct that the QRServer configuration is stored in the SiteCollection DB.
As we are using a 3rd Party uninstaller which does not offer any hooks for uninstalling we are not able to remove the DB entry when uninstalling the web parts.
But as the way the QRServer DB entry is read and written has changed, it should not throw any Exception anymore, even if the config is wrong.

Do you have any way to download the latest source code and compile the project yourself?
If not, we plan to release a new version very soon with the fixes we did so far and some additions which will be contributed by some users.