Replacing default sharepoint search

Jan 28, 2009 at 12:49 PM
I have succesfully got the web parts working and returning results from Fast collection.
I was wondering if any one has thought about replacing the default sharepoint search with Fast search along with the site scope?.

Any ideas are greatly appreciated.
Jan 28, 2009 at 4:26 PM
We've thought about it and are currently trying to implement a proof of concept. 

One of the good things about the FAST ESP Web Parts is that they mimic the SharePoint Web Parts by grabbing the Search Query from the URL (the "k" parameter).

One of things that you can do is to modify the SeachCenter.aspx page by remove the default SharePoint Web Parts and adding the FAST ESP ones.  Another option is to create your own Search Page and modify the javascript function called from the site Master Page that is behind the "magnifying glass" button to redirect to your custom search page.

The big gap that I've seen is with SharePoint Search Scopes.  The FAST ESP Web Parts ignore them (frankly the concept of a scope doesn't really exist in FAST).  The scope is also found in the URL (the "s" parameter).  We're not big users of custom scopes at my company so that part isn't a big loss for us.  However you also have the built in scopes of "This Site" and "This List".  Solutions to this that I've thought about but not implemented are:

1. Modify the magnifying glass Javascript function to redirect to a SharePoint Based Search page whenever a scope (other than "All Sites") is specified.
  2. Modify the FAST ESP Web Part code so that if it sees "This List", append an FQL command to the user's query so that the FAST Index Field (I think it's Web List ID) is equal to the value of the List Named in the "s" parameter.  I would do the same for "This Site".
Hope this helps....

Jack
Feb 2, 2009 at 8:58 AM
Thanks for the ideas Jack.  I will give these a go and hopefully get them working soon.