Filtering query results by FAST Index field

Apr 13, 2009 at 4:57 PM
I would like to create a SharePoint search page where the search results are "prefiltered" by the value of a given FAST index field. 

For example we have the field, itemcontenttype which stores the SharePoint Content Type of a given document or list item.  What I would like to have happen is to have search results only where the value of the itemcontenttype field is equal to "Technical Report".

Jack
Apr 17, 2009 at 2:44 AM
Jack,
I hope you don't mind, but I'm going to add my question to yours as I think they are related. We want to create a single collection (which may include dozens of SharePoint sites) and then let each site owner configure their search by adding a URLs filter for their specific site. We're also trying to figure out how to set up these parameters in the ESP web part.
Dave
Apr 17, 2009 at 7:17 PM
I found one way to do it...

1. Create a Search Profile in the Search Business Center (SBC) containing the colleciton that has your content.
  2. Click on the Search Profile Settings and then the Query Handling Tab
  3. Click on the Edit button next to Advanced Options
  4. In the box labeled Filter Terms, add the following FQL expression:
    • weburl:OR("<url to site>")
  5. Click on Save.
  6. Publish the Search Profile
  7. In the Tools panel of the ESP Result List web part you can select your new Search Profile in the Search View dropdown.

All in all it works pretty good.  We even do something like:

itemcontenttype:OR("Technical Report") which returns only results whose SharePoint Content Type is Technical Report.  Thus creating a search for these kinds of documents irrespective of their location on our SharePoint portal.

Also people who use the FAST SFE can also potentially select it as well.

Disadvantages to this is you have to creat a Search Profile for every set of content or site that you want to create a dedicated search interface for.  Also the SBC Reports that show the search statistics are spread across all of the profiles.

It would be terrific if the ESP Result List had a Filter Terms property that we could paste the FQL expression directly and thus not have to create a Search Profile.

Jack

Apr 19, 2009 at 8:41 PM
Thanks for your response, Jack.
So what I'm understanding is that there is no way to set up these filters in SharePoint; they all have to be done with SBC. That's unfortunate. We're in a situation where only a very limited group has access to the SBC, and we wanted to have the SharePoint developers set up the FAST search parameters in the ESP web part. It sounds like that is not currently supported by SP.
Looks like I may have to wait, as you suggested, until SP comes up with a way to add a filter directly in the web part.
Thanks again.
Dave
Apr 22, 2009 at 3:24 PM
Has anyone used the Static Query Properties setting of the ESP Result List web part to do anything?  For example, I tried some non-filter related commands like hits=20 to see if it can display 20 results at a time and it didn't seem to do anything?

Jack